The Best Traffic Violations Attorney In Knoxville
If you are issued a ticket for a traffic violation, you’re likely feeling annoyed and frustrated. Traffic violations are a big headache that nobody wants to deal with. You may be inclined to pay the ticket and put the whole issue behind you as soon as possible. However, there are many reasons why you shouldn’t just pay it and instead, hire a traffic violations attorney.
Why You Should Fight A Ticket
Many people don’t know that they can fight a traffic ticket, but there are many good reasons to do so. The fine is not a significant factor; instead, what happens to your record after you pay the fine is what matters. Having an uncontested ticket on your driving record has several repercussions that you don’t want.
After a traffic ticket, you’ll have more points on your record. Points indicate to insurance companies how much of a driving risk you are. The more points that are on your record, the more you’ll have to pay for car insurance.
Some people even find that their insurance provider cancels their policy entirely after getting too many points.
Reasons You Can Get A Traffic Violation Ticket
While speeding tickets are probably the first thing that comes to mind, many other infractions can also lead to traffic violation tickets. Traffic tickets can be either misdemeanors or felonies, depending on the specific offense. Some of the other reasons that you may get a traffic violation ticket include the following:
- Drag racing. If you are racing a friend down the street, you may get a penalty for endangering the public
- Reckless driving, which can include excessive speeding or otherwise operating your vehicle in an unsafe manner
- Child endangerment, if you are driving unsafely with a child in the car. The penalty for this offense can range from a misdemeanor to a felony, depending on the circumstances
- Fleeing from an officer, which means failure to stop promptly when an officer signals that he or she wants you to pull over
Other Situations Which Can Lead To A Traffic Ticket
There are other situations which can cause you to get a traffic ticket as well, including the following offenses:
- Violations of seat belt laws. Seat belts are required by law in Tennessee. Failure to wear a seat belt can result in a $50 fine
- Violation of speed limit laws. More commonly known as speeding tickets, these penalties are for exceeding the state speed limit of 70 miles per hour on the highways. Individual speed limits can vary based on the specific roads in each city. For example, the city of Knoxville proper has some different speed limits than surrounding towns like Knoxville or Farragut
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Making a turn where it is not permitted or failure to obey one-way signs
- Driving with an open container of alcohol
- Failure to yield to emergency vehicles, such as ambulances or fire trucks
- Failure to carry legally required insurance in your automobile
Penalties For Traffic Violations
Violations of traffic laws can vary widely based on the offense. Some penalties for traffic violations can include fines of up to $5,000 and even prison terms of up to twelve years. The charge can range from a Class A misdemeanor to a felony, depending on how severe the circumstances are.
Some traffic violations can also risk the loss of your driving privileges altogether. Because the Knoxville area has minimal public transit options, being without the ability to drive a car is a hardship that is difficult to get used to. It is well worth the effort to hire an attorney to avoid this loss.
How An Attorney Can Help
You don’t want to have a traffic violation on your record. The consequences of a ticket are far more costly than just the penalty. Because the violations add points to your driving record, you could be paying substantial amounts of money in increased car insurance premiums for years.
Hiring an experienced lawyer to fight your traffic ticket is an investment that is worth the time and money. You need a traffic violations attorney who knows Tennessee laws and how to contest a ticket. The best way to fight a ticket is to investigate the details surrounding the traffic stop. Highly skilled lawyers will look for procedures that were not correctly and adequately followed by the attending officer to see if they did anything that works in your favor.
Kevin Shepherd and his legal team are the right people to have on your side when you’re trying to fight a traffic violation. You want an attorney who is local and knows the laws here in Tennessee. For the best traffic violations attorney in Knoxville, contact Shepherd & Long, PC today at 865-999-0366.
Shepherd & Long, PC
Shepherd & Long, PC is located in Maryville, TN and serves clients in and around Rockford, Walland, Alcoa, Louisville and Blount County.
Attorney Advertising. This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.